The Mary McMahon Busch Nurse Training Fund is dedicated to educating, training and empowering nurses in pediatric cardiac care at Children’s HeartLink partner hospitals.
Our program model focuses on the training needs of all members of the pediatric cardiac care team, with a special emphasis on training nurses. Nurses touch all children treated for congenital heart disease. They are closest to the patients during the most critical moments, day and night, and are a key link to families. Nurses’ intimate and practical understanding of their patients’ needs is unmatched.
Our nurse training efforts are designed to achieve three goals:
- To improve nurses’ knowledge and skills
- To develop nursing leaders
- To promote nurses as key partners of multidisciplinary teams
Children’s HeartLink has spearheaded several innovations in nursing education and empowerment:
- Intensive Training in India: To improve care and increase nurse retention, we have developed an innovative and intensive 10-day, hands-on Nurse Residency Program with a group of US-based nursing experts and international partners. This is the only program of its kind in India, with a goal to help nurses develop their knowledge and nursing practice, and to take a proactive approach while caring for patients. It uses a train-the-trainer model to ensure that other nurses in an institution gain the same skills and confidence as those in the original training.
- Continuing Education in Brazil: Nursing leaders at Hospital da Criança e Maternidade in São José do Rio Preto, Brazil, have developed the first postgraduate nursing course in pediatric cardiac care in Brazil, taught at FAMERP Medical University. Children’s HeartLink supports the 18-month program by funding scholarships and enlisting the assistance and expertise of our medical volunteers.
- Advanced Practice in Malaysia: We piloted an Advanced Practice Provider nursing curriculum in pediatric cardiac care for nurses at Institut Jantung Negara in Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia. The curriculum was developed by the Pediatric Cardiac Intensive Care Society and is delivered by Children’s HeartLink medical volunteers.
About Mary McMahon Busch
The Mary McMahon Busch Nurse Training Fund was established in memory of our former board member Mary McMahon Busch. Mary was a cardiac nurse by training, and through her career became an admired and respected leader in the international cardiac device industry. She had an intimate understanding of the vital role nurses play as members of a cardiac team, and she was a passionate supporter and advocate of our work for saving the lives of children with heart disease in underserved parts of the world.