COVID-19 and Pediatric Cardiac Care
No matter what is happening in the world, children with congenital heart disease are being born, and they need care. While travel restrictions and health risks have temporarily suspended our in-person training exchanges, Children’s HeartLink is increasing remote engagement to provide timely information specific to COVID-19 and pediatric cardiac care, and redesigning our training to be delivered via remote technology. Read more in this message from Jackie Boucher.
This page has been created to provide authoritative and timely resources about the coronavirus COVID-19 and pediatric cardiac care. Check back for regular updates.
Resources for Providers
- Cardiac Manifestations in SARS-CoV-2-associated Multisystem Inflammatory Syndrome in Children: A Comprehensive Review and Proposed Clinical Approach from European Journal of Pediatrics
- COVID-19 in Congenital Heart Disease: Ten Points to Remember from American College of Cardiology
- COVID-19: FAQs—Congenital Heart Surgery Recovery and Defining a “New Normal” from World Journal for Pediatric and Congenital Heart Surgery
- American College of Cardiology Covid-19 Resource Page
- Guideline: Diagnosis and Management of Cardiovascular Disease during the Covid-19 Pandemic from The BMJ
- Coronavirus Disease 2019 (COVID‐19) Pandemic Implications in Pediatric and Adult Congenital Heart Disease from Journal of the American Heart Association
- The American Heart Association and the American Academy of Pediatrics Interim Guidance for Basic and Advanced Life Support in Children and Neonates With Suspected or Confirmed COVID-19
- Survey on the Impact of COVID-19 on Pediatric Cardiac Programs from the World Society of Pediatric and Congenital Heart Surgery, the European Congenital Heart Surgeons Association and the Congenital Heart Surgeons’ Society
- Resource Allocation and Decision Making for Pediatric and Congenital Cardiac Catheterization During the COVID-19 Pandemic from Journal of Invasive Cardiology
- Statement on Pediatric and Fetal Echocardiography During the Coronavirus Outbreak from the American Society of Echocardiography
- COVID 19: Crisis Management in Congenital Heart Surgery from The Annals of Thoracic Surgery (pre-proof)
Characteristics and Outcomes of Children With Coronavirus Disease 2019 (COVID-19) Infection Admitted to US and Canadian Pediatric Intensive Care Units from JAMA Pediatrics (3 of the 48 children had CHD)
- Experience from Italy from 8 Centers Collecting 76 CHD Covid-19 Infected Cases
- Adult Congenital Heart Disease and the covid-19 Pandemic, a review article in the BMJ Heart
- COVID-19 and Congenital Heart Disease: Perspectives from a Resource-limited Setting, a preprint of correspondence from Dr. Anita Saxena from All India Institute of Medical Sciences in Delhi, India
Resources for Patients and Families
- COVID-19 and Congenital Heart Defects: What You Need to Know developed by Children’s HeartLink and the Global Alliance for Rheumatic and Congenital Hearts
Read our blog post: Inside Our Partner Hospitals during COVID-19 Pandemic
The COVID-19 pandemic is a rapidly evolving situation. This resource page is intended for informational purposes only and is not intended as medical advice. Children’s HeartLink is not endorsing or vouching for, has not vetted or evaluated, and is not responsible for, the quality of information provided by third parties.
Children’s HeartLink thanks Medtronic Foundation for their sponsorship of the CHL COVID-19 response.